Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Cup Overflowing with Blessings



Psalm 23  (New Living Translation)
A psalm of David.
The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
    he leads me beside peaceful streams.
    He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
    bringing honor to his name.
Even when I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will not be afraid,
    for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
    protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
    
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
    all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
    forever.


     A few days ago at the daily children’s program (Infancia con Futura) the children had a special drink with their snack – Pespi!  I watched as one of the girls carried her snack to her seat on the sidewalk.  Just as she sat down her cup of Pepsi spilled out, all over the sidewalk.  My natural instinct was to rush over and take care of it for her, but I stopped myself, realizing this was an opportunity to observe her problem solving skills.  (I would jump in when I saw she needed help.)  With a brief pause and a look of disappointment, she gathered her stuff and moved away from the spilled drink. 

      A few moments later, one of the older girls came over with her snack.  When she saw what had happened, she immediately poured half of her Pepsi into her friend’s empty cup.  She didn't even hesitate to share her blessing of a full cup with her friend. 

     What a beautiful picture of God’s love for us and how we are to display that love for others to see and know that the Lord is good and loves them too!!!

      How many times have you felt disappointed over an empty cup?  How many times have you noticed another person’s cup empty?  Did you pour half of your full cup into theirs? 

     Today, give thanks to God that He fills our cups daily with rivers of living water.  Look for ways you can help fill the cups of those around you with His everlasting love. 

                 "Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! 
For the Scriptures declare, 'Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.'"  John 7:38

Please pray for the children of El Salvador. 
 That they will know the joy of LIVING WATER flowing from their hearts, 
overflowing so that others will also know the love of the One, True God!  

 Infancia con Furtura, or Children with a Future is a ministry of the Evangelical Methodist Church in El Salvador.  It meets each weekday in the afternoon for two hours.  The goal of this ministry is to provide children with a safe place for fellowship, a healthy snack, and Christian love and teaching.  Children also have opportunities to learn skills like handcrafts that will enable them to provide income for their families.  It's a pretty awesome ministry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment