Sunday, April 6, 2014

¿Qué tal?

A few updates on my work in El Salvador....

My current work is to develop culturally relevant curriculum for Sunday School at the 12 Methodist Churches in El Salvador.  So, I spend my weekends visiting Sunday/Bible School Ministries at Methodist Churches and my weekdays are spent in language class and writing curriculum.  Here's what I've been up to....

Sunday School at Roca Eterna Evangelical Methodist Church in Ahuachapan






Sunday School at La Providencia Evangelical Methodist Church in Ahuachapan


Sunday School at La Gloria Evangelical Methodist Church in Ahuachapan





Vacation Bible School at El Shaddia Evangelical Methodist Church













And here's the first Unit of Lessons


Since this is the first unit I've written, I learned a lot through the process.  The main thing I learned was the need to make a lesson-writing schedule with lots of mini-goals before my big deadline.  That way lessons are ready in time for office staff to translate without having to rush.  This first unit was given to church leaders at the 2014 National Assembly the 3rd weekend of February.  I gave myself plenty of time to write lessons, but did not leave enough time for translation and printing.  But with the help of some AWESOME people in the National office, it got done in perfect timing!  Leaders also received a bag of simple materials needed for lessons.

Most people wonder why I'm writing lessons from scratch rather than translating already developed curriculum from the U.S.  It's a good question, with a good answer.  The Evangelical Methodist Churches of El Salvador want to develop a curriculum that is unique to them.  One that speaks directly to the children and youth of El Salvador.  Most of the churches are currently using translated curriculum from the States.  It meets the immediate need, but leaves holes to be filled.  Examples in lessons often are unrelatable to children and youth in El Salvador.  It doesn't fit their cultural context. 
I believe Jesus is relevant to all cultures and each culture deserves curriculum written for it's context.  A good example is snow.  They say it snowed once in El Salvador...so how many kids can really identify with examples from snow stories?  (Although, you'll see from the above photos that one church did an awesome job of bring snow to El Salvador for the week of VBS!) 

I have received feedback on this first unit and am collecting more feedback as I visit churches.  I am also in the process of working on the next unit that will hopefully be ready for use in the summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment