Friday, June 7, 2013

Commissioned for Missionary Service - a churchy way to say, "I'm following God to El Salvador!"



A friend asked a very good question - "What does it mean that you are being commissioned for missionary service?"  

Basically, it's a real churchy way for me to say that I'm following God to serve with the Methodist Church in El Salvador and the United Methodist Church is supporting me to do so.  The commissioning will happen in a worship service where others are also being set apart for ministry within the church - mostly for ordained ministry.

My husband, Brian has been serving as a volunteer missionary in El Salvador for the past 3 years, while I have remained in NC serving in Children's Ministry at our home church.  When we began this journey over 3 1/2 years ago, we had no idea where God would lead us.  

It began with Brian asking me a simple question, "What would you think about moving to El Salvador to work with the Methodist Church there?"  My answer was, "If God is calling you, then I support it!"  We took one small step at a time.  First by sending him there for 3 months - which quickly has grown into 3 years. 

We've been praying for a way that we can be together there in ministry.  Since Brian's call is to serve as a "volunteer"  it's been important for me to remain in the States where I have a constant salary to pay bills.   Our goal has been to make this move debt-free.  (And I praise God as I say, we will!!!)

So, last summer, I journeyed to El Salvador for 6 weeks to listen to God and to discern where He is calling me to serve.  Should I remain in NC, should I go join Brian, is there specific work God has for me in El Salvador?  

"Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you."  ~Matthew 7:7  

God is good and faithful and does speak to His children.  He quickly began speaking to my heart and opening doors.  I met someone who God spoke through to give me direction.  Brian and I picked him up from the airport because he had flown from New York to be a part of a Duke Seminary Training for Methodist Pastors in El Salvador.  On the way from San Salvador to Ahuachapan we discussed Brian's ministry, the ministry of the church in El Salvador, my ministry in NC, and the gifts for ministry that God has given me.  

He later asked me if I had ever considered being a United Methodist Missionary through Global Ministries.  I really didn't know exactly what that meant, but knew that it was a God-moment - the beginning of answering my questions of where God had plans for me to serve.  

When I returned to NC I spoke with my Pastor about this experience and began to apply to be a Global Ministries Missionary.  I brushed up my resume, completed a very lengthy application and sent it to to Raleigh, where it would first be reviewed by a Missionary Personnel Committee of the NC Conference of the UMChurch.  I was interviewed by that committee to help me continue to discern God's call for me in mission service.  They agreed and affirmed that God was calling me into this ministry. And they sent my application to the Global Ministries offices in New York.  

I was then interviewed by a team from Global Ministries and given a psychological evaluation and health screening.  All to confirm that God is calling and I'm fit for the call.  In April, my husband joined me in New York, along with 9 other prospective missionaries to be trained at Global Ministries.

It sounds like some pretty extensive hoops just to join my husband in what God is already doing in El Salvador, but I've learned to appreciate, trust, and depend on the hoops!  God worked through this process to give me "blessed assurance" in following Him to El Salvador.  I'm amazed each time I ponder through the many God-incidents, not coincidences along the way that have helped me know for sure that I've been made for this call.

" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares The Lord, 'plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "  Jeremiah 29:11

So, on Saturday, June 15 I'll be commissioned to be a missionary to El Salvador.  Several Bishops, Pastors, and Lay Leaders of the United Methodist Church will participate in the commissioning, as an act of confirming and affirming God's call to set me apart for service in El Salvador.  

On Saturday, June 29, I'll fly to San Salvador and join my husband and our dog, Buddie in Ahuchapan.  I'll begin my work with the church there in the area of Christian Education.  My first focus will be to learn Spanish and learn the church there -learn it's people, it's call for mission, and how God will use me to further that mission.  

I look forward to sharing with you in this journey.  Sharing with you stories of faithful followers in El Salvador and stories of God's faithfulness in their lives as well as mine.  I look forward to sharing in ministry with some of you as you visit us and all of you as we pray together for God's Kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Dios te bendiga! (God bless you!)

Ellyn

Want to know more?  Here are two great resources!
Brian's website about his work in El Salvador - www.salvadoranmissionprojects.com
Global Ministries Website - www.umcmission.org



1 comment:

  1. OMGoodness! I love the term God-incidents! I am going to be using that one!

    I think this is a beautiful story of how God has led you to this ministry and I can't wait to see how God moves in all of this! Sooooo exciting!

    Loves!

    Your sis in Christ,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete